Monday, October 23, 2006

Cuban Food

¡Buen Sabor!

Just felt the need to write about what we are having for dinner–-again. "Again" because this meal is a frequent eat here in our household.

Piccadillo, made with ground turkey to lighten it up; garlic, onions and peppers; cumin, oregano, cinnamon, a can of salt free tomatoes, all sauteed in olive oil and then raisins added and my son's portion plated. Then I add the chopped green olives for the rest of us.

Boniatillo, which is sweet potato pudding. First you have to infuse water with lemon and stick cinnamon (about 20 minutes at the simmer) and then make a syrup with some (a cup of) brown sugar (soft ball stage). Smush up two cans of sweet potatoes, drained, in a food processor. Add that to the sugar mixture. Add two egg yolks, tempered with the sweet potatoes, and some low fat milk (I know, with all that sugar and egg yolks...I had to health it up somehow).

This is my son's favourite meal. I like it too; it's got that sweet/salty thing (the olives pack the salty punch).

I gotta go and infuse some water now.

No comments: